Topping tomatoes during flowering, how and what to feed flowering tomatoes
When caring for tomato beds, the question inevitably arises of how to feed tomatoes during flowering. There are many options, ranging from traditional folk recipes to ready-made complex mixtures.
Dear readers! For you, we have created communities in social networks in which useful articles and interesting ideas are published several times a day! Subscribe and get useful content in a convenient format!
- In contact with
- Yandex Zen
The second question is according to what scheme to apply top dressing so as not to harm the tomatoes, but to help them form as many ovaries as possible.
We will analyze all this in today's article. And you will find here not only answers to questions, but also several life hacks from experienced gardeners.
Do I need to feed flowering tomatoes?
In general, this is a rather subtle point. Most summer residents to the question "Do I need to make fertilizing during flowering?" they will say what is needed. However, there is one thing. If tomatoes grow in a good fertile soil, do not get sick and grow without development problems, then they need to be fed very carefully. It is better to give preference to various stimulants, humic fertilizers, etc.
If during the growing season there are some problems (for example, adverse weather, pests), or you have poor seedlings, or poor soil, then feeding during flowering is necessary.
Nevertheless, flowering is an important and energy-intensive process, on which the plant spends a lot of energy. Therefore, it is still better to feed the tomatoes during flowering. It is not necessary to apply a lot of fertilizers, but it is necessary to make up for the loss of phosphorus, potassium, magnesium and boron.
How to determine that blooming tomato needs top dressing?
Top dressing must be made without fail when external signs of a lack of batteries appear. For example, yellowing, drying and twisting of foliage, slow growth, developmental delay, small flowers. All this signals that tomatoes need to be urgently fed with useful substances.
REFERENCE. Also, a change in the color of the leaves to purple or pale green indicates the need to add superphosphate (in the first case) and nitrogen (in the second) to the diet.
When is it best to fertilize during flowering or budding?
The best time for top dressing, if you decide to carry it out, will be a period of mass flowering, but before setting fruit. It is at this point that plants are most susceptible to fertilizer application.
At the same time, at this stage of flowering, preference should be given to phosphates and potash fertilizers, as well as adding humates. You can use nitrogen fertilizing only if the plants are lagging behind in development.
What fertilizing is needed for tomatoes so that budding is better
There are three varieties of fertilizer that can be used to stimulate the budding of tomatoes.
Let's give a general outline of each of them:
- Mineral fertilizers. Highly effective, concentrated products. Among the disadvantages are the possible accumulation of nitrates and the need to strictly observe the proportions of the preparation of the working solution. In this group, you can pay attention to nitrophosphate, superphosphate, potassium sulfate.
- Organic preparations are significantly inferior in effectiveness to the mineral water, but are environmentally friendly, although they still need to be properly prepared. In this group, the most effective infusion of ash, yeast solution, a decoction of onion husks.
- Integrated. The best option, but can cost more than other varieties. It is worth looking in the stores for preparations of Kemira Lux, Wagon, Mortar, Senior Tomato, Ovary.
ON A NOTE. It is also important to add humates during flowering. They favorably affect the growth of tomatoes, and the structure of the soil.
How to stimulate the ovary on tomatoes
To stimulate the formation of more ovaries, tomatoes are sprayed or watered during flowering.
An effective remedy is iodine solution. To prepare it, you need to dissolve 3 drops of iodine in 1 bucket of water. Such a composition is introduced at the root.
ON A NOTE. The best option would be spraying with a special complex composition "Ovary". This remedy helps tomatoes grow more future fruits.
What complex preparations can be used for flowering tomatoes
The most effective way to influence the flowering process for the better is to treat with specialized complex preparations.
The table below shows the most popular, affordable and effective drugs.
Table. Complex means for feeding tomatoes during flowering
|A drug||Cooking rate||Application and consumption|
|Kemira Suite||5 g of the drug n 1 l of water||Watering during flowering every 2 weeks|
|Station wagon||For root dressing: 10 ml per liter of water|
For spraying: 5 ml per 10 l of water
|Alternate spraying and root dressing. Conduct processing once every 1-2 weeks|
|Mortar||15 gr per bucket of water||The flow rate of the solution is 4 liters per square meter. Top dressing at the beginning of flowering|
|Senior Tomato||15 ml per 10 l of water||Up to 5 treatments per season|
|Ovary||1 g per 0.5 l of water||Spraying during flowering 1-3 brushes|
|Blank sheet for tomatoes||10 g of the drug in 5 l of water||Spray during the growing season|
|Fasco babies for tomatoes||10 g of the drug per 10 liters of water||Spraying every 1-1.5 weeks|
|Quantum for vegetables||15 ml per 5 l of water||Double spraying before budding and after 20 days.|
|Reak for tomatoes||25 gr per bucket of water||Top dressing during the flowering period. 0.5-1 l per plant|
|Potassium humate||50 ml per bucket of water||Alternate root and foliar fertilization|
|Hera for Tomatoes||Used dry||The fertilizer application rate is 5 g per 1 tomato bush|
|Effecton||Root treatment: 0.2 L per 10 L of liquid|
Foliar treatment: 0.03 L per 10 L of liquid
Folk dressing tomato during flowering
In addition to mineral and complex preparations, summer residents often stop at folk recipes. We will analyze the most popular of them.
Ashes can be scattered over plantings, dusting plants with it, but the most effective will be the use of a liquid.
For root top dressing, you need 100 grams of ash per bucket of water. Consumption - 500 ml per bush.
The spray solution is prepared a little differently. Sift 100 g of ash, pour 3 liters of water and boil for half an hour. Next, dissolve the broth in 7 liters of water and leave to infuse for a day. The next day, filter and sprinkle the tomatoes.
This top dressing is used to improve the structure of the soil and increase its fertility.
The working solution is prepared as follows. We dilute 100 g of fresh yeast in a liter of warm water and leave to roam for 3-4 hours. Then we pour the resulting mixture into a bucket of water, mix and water the tomatoes at the rate of 0.5 l per 1 bush.
To prepare a solution for processing, you need 10 grams of boric acid, which are dissolved in a bucket of water. There is a small life hack: first, dissolve the product in a small amount of warm water, and only then bring the volume to working.
Another remedy may be a fertilizer made from nettle and weed grass.
For information on how to properly prepare and use it, read our article, "How to Make Green Fertilizer from Herbs, Different Recipes."
The solution is prepared simply: 3 drops per bucket. The fluid flow rate per 1 bush is 1 liter.
The preparation needs a ground egg shell. Enough 4-5 pieces. Grind the shells, fill in 3 liters of water and leave to ferment in a dark place for 3 days. The tool is used for watering.
What mineral fertilizers can be used
From minerals, attention should be paid to Azofoska and Nitrophoska. These are complex preparations containing the most important trace elements.
Another good choice would be various superphosphates (mono-, double, granular), potassium salt, potassium sulfate.
Of the phosphorus-containing drugs, preference should be given to superphosphate. For 10 liters of water you need a tablespoon of this drug.
Of potash top dressing, potassium sulfate is most often used. 40 grams of this top dressing is consumed per 10 liters of liquid.
Experienced gardeners try not to feed each element individually, but to use complex mineral preparations. For example, diammophos (a tablespoon without a slide on a bucket of water).
All these fertilizers are applied in liquid form under the root.
How and what to do with foliar top dressing
Foliar top dressing (or simply spraying) is a great way to stimulate flowering.
Let's start with a comprehensive folk remedy that has proven effective. To prepare the working solution, you will need a liter of milk, half a teaspoon of boric acid, a bucket of water and 10 drops of iodine.
First, we dilute boric acid in a small amount of very warm water, and then mix everything together and spray the tomatoes.
ON A NOTE. Processing should be carried out in the morning on a dry, sunny day. In addition to stimulating the formation of ovaries, the solution is a prophylactic for late blight.
There are other folk recipes. For example, a solution of iodine, sugar and whey. In a bucket of water, 2 liters of whey, 3 cups of sugar and 20 drops of iodine are mixed. Or a light pink solution of potassium permanganate.
But, in our opinion, it is better to use complex purchased drugs. Just because they are more effective, which means less processing is required, which saves you time and energy.
What fertilizers can be applied during watering?
Root dressing is a standard way to saturate a plant with the nutrients it needs. For watering, organics, diluted mineral fertilizers are usually used.
When you are fertilizing, remember that previously the soil under the bushes needs to be watered with clean water. This is necessary so as not to burn the root system and stimulate the absorption of useful trace elements by the roots.
By the way, organic fertilizers and mineral water can be used to prepare complex fertilizers. For example, a bucket of water, half a liter of litter and 2 tablespoons of superphosphate. Or a bucket of water, half a liter of litter, half a bag of boric acid and a spoonful of potassium sulfate.
For a long time growing tomatoes as a cultivated plant, summer residents have accumulated a certain amount of knowledge. Here are some tricks gardeners regarding feeding tomatoes during flowering.
- When applying fertilizers, it is better to choose preparations with a high content of potassium and phosphorus and a low nitrogen content.
- Try to choose those means where there are humates. You can additionally process tomatoes with humic fertilizers.
- Combine and alternate the application of organic and mineral water.
- Pinch tops, remove stepchildren to properly distribute nutrients throughout the plant.
- Before planting tomato seedlings, plant siderata in this place.
- Observe the watering regime, loosen and mulch the soil.
- On rainy days, add a solution of hydrogen peroxide to the diet of plants. This will help tomatoes better cope with excess moisture.
Popular flowering schemes during flowering
Let's analyze the popular scheme of mineral fertilizing of tomatoes during flowering.
- When the first inflorescences appear, we fertilize with 5 l of water, 10 g of ammonium nitrate, 5 g of potassium chloride and 20 g of superphosphate.
- The second top dressing is carried out during flowering of 2 pairs of brushes. In a bucket of water we mix - 70 g of superphosphate, 30 g of saltpeter, 20 g of potassium.
- After another 2 weeks, we mix 45 grams of superphosphate, 30 grams of nitrate, 30 grams of potassium sulfate in a bucket of water.
- Between these top dressings we carry out foliar treatment with boric acid.
Another scheme is a bit simpler:
- In 10 l of water dissolve a tablespoon of nitrophosphate. Water under the root.
- During the setting of the first fruits, pour the following mixture: 10 liters of water, 2 tablespoons of superphosphate, a spoonful of sodium humate.
- The use of nitrogen drugs. Seeing what effect nitrogen fertilization had at the beginning of the growing season, the summer resident applies the product again. Although during the flowering period, nitrogen is not needed.
- Failure to comply with the proportions. This is especially important when foliar treatment, as then the plant can get burns.
- Fertilizing too often. Tomatoes need to be fed during flowering moderately, simply maintaining the balance of trace elements. Excess fertilizer is harmful to plants.
- No humates added. These trace elements are extremely important for plants during the flowering period.
- Only folk methods are used with an unfavorable growth of tomatoes. If the tomatoes bloom poorly, then it is better to use complex dressings. They are more effective than folk recipes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to feed during flowering?
It is desirable. If the tomatoes grow well, then the fertilizer rate can be reduced.
When do I need to start feeding?
When the first flowers appear.
When is top dressing most effective?
During the mass flowering of tomatoes.
Topping up during flowering is an important part of the tomato care cycle to produce a bountiful harvest. Plants bloom relatively briefly, so it is very important to determine in advance when and what fertilizers you will add. It’s best to write the selected pattern on a piece of paper, and then follow the instructions clearly.
It is very important not to rush from one extreme to another, but to monitor the condition of plants, so that as necessary add new nutrients to their diet.