How to feed cabbage seedlings for growth after germination, picking, so that it is plump
Like any other seedlings, seedlings of white, cauliflower or Chinese cabbage need top dressing at certain stages of their growth. Using fertilizers, we help seedlings gain strength before planting on the beds.
Dear readers! For you, we have created communities in social networks in which useful articles and interesting ideas are published several times a day! Subscribe and get useful content in a convenient format!
- In contact with
- Yandex Zen
In today's article, we will talk about how to fertilize cabbage at various stages of the growing season during seedling cultivation. In addition, you will learn which fertilizers are better and which of the "grandmother's recipes" can be used.
When you need to feed cabbage seedlings
While cabbage seedlings grow in containers or cups in your home, you need to have time to carry out several dressings.
Fertilizers can be applied for the first time during the appearance phase of 2 true leaves. But it is too early to make full fertilizers. The root system has not yet formed enough to fully absorb the nutrients.
The second top dressing (and if the seedlings are good, then it will be the first) is carried out 8-12 days after the pick.
The next time fertilizers are applied 12-15 days after the previous feeding.
And, finally, for the fourth, last time, cabbage needs to be fed already before landing in the garden.
In total, 3-4 fertilizing is obtained for the entire time of growing seedlings. In fact, more is not necessary. Excess mineral components are also harmful to plants. If your seedlings look healthy and plump, then you can do without fertilizing.
How to determine that cabbage seedlings need top dressing
The lack of micronutrients can be determined by the appearance of cabbage seedlings.
Pale, sluggish plants with thin stems and translucent leaves - all this indicates that the seedlings need to be fed.
Nitrogen deficiency appears as yellowing of the leaves. If the cabbage is not enough potassium, then the seedlings become wrinkled. Phosphorus deficiency is manifested in the darkening of leaf blades of seedlings. With a lack of calcium, bright spots appear, and the leaves begin to curl down.
What to feed after germination, when to produce the first top dressing
When the seedlings release the first pair of real leaves, they can add a little preparation "Agricola" (you need a specialized one - for cabbage). This is a balanced drug, which is more likely to perform the function of a growth stimulator than a complete top dressing.
IMPORTANT! This and any subsequent root top dressing of seedlings without fail is carried out on wet soil. Otherwise, there is a chance to burn the roots of plants.
How to feed cabbage seedlings after a dive
The first top dressing with real fertilizers you should plan after a dive. And not immediately after the procedure, but after a week, or even two. Immediately after the picking, the roots still cannot fully draw in useful trace elements from the soil. Therefore, you must wait, and then water the seedlings with nutritious mixtures.
If you grow seedlings in separate containers, then you need to plan a similar dressing for the phase of the appearance of 2 pairs of real leaves.
Now we will figure out which mixtures should be used to saturate the plants with the necessary amount of nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus and other trace elements.
We take a 3 liter can of water and pour the following mixture there: 6 grams of saltpeter, 6 grams of potassium chloride, 12 grams of superphosphate. Water should be warm and settled. Water a little bit. If this amount of fertilizing is excessive, then reduce all components by 2 or 3 times.
The second feeding is carried out 2 weeks after the first.
It is necessary to use drugs with a high nitrogen content. As an option, ammonium nitrate. On a three-liter jar you will need 10 grams of the drug. Nitrate can be replaced with urea or ordinary ammonia, which is also a source of nitrogen.
What is the need for fertilizing cabbage before planting in open ground
Before you carry containers with seedlings in the garden for planting, seedlings need to be strengthened so that they can easily transfer this procedure.
Complex compounds are suitable for this. You can cook one yourself. For 5 liters of water you will need 10 grams of potassium chloride, 15 grams of nitrate and 25 grams of superphosphate. Of the purchased drugs, a similar effect will give Kemira.
What fertilizers can be used at home
Consider the main types of fertilizers that are used to power the seedlings of cabbage seedlings at home.
These are such preparations, which contain all the most important micronutrient and macrocell nutrients. For white, cauliflower, Chinese cabbage and kohlrabi, you can choose Blank sheet, Nitroammofosku, Kemira, Omu, Souffler, Gaspadar. These are, in fact, similar drugs. Therefore, you need to choose only one of them.
Mineral preparations are necessary for the growth of leaves and shoots, as well as to maintain the overall tone of the plant and strengthen its health.
Cabbage loves all the essential minerals. For example, urea, ammonium nitrate, as a source of nitrogen; superphosphate as a source of phosphorus; potassium salt and potassium sulfate as a source of potassium compounds.
Mineral preparations are good for their availability. Also, for the nutrition of cabbage seedlings, very small amounts of each drug are needed. Therefore, by purchasing, for example, a package of each of the above funds, you will provide food for all your seedlings for the entire growing period.
- Chicken droppings. Powerful complex fertilizer. Now sold in bags in dry form. Before use, you need to prepare a concentrate, and already make a working solution from it.
- Mullein. Source of nitrogen. But it is not practical to use it at home because of the specific smell.
- Ash contains a range of useful trace elements. Many summer residents for food use only ash and solutions based on it.
Folk remedies for seedlings of cabbage
It is not necessary to use purchased products to feed the seedlings. Among folk remedies, there are also worthy fertilizers that seedlings will saturate with the necessary elements. Consider the most popular of them:
- Boric acid solution. This is a foliar preparation. To get the concentrate, you need a teaspoon of the powder and a full glass of very hot water. The finished concentrate is dissolved in a ten-liter bucket of water and sprayed with seedlings. If 10 l of water is a lot for you, then reduce the rate when preparing the concentrate.
- Soda. The working solution is prepared from 4 tablespoons of soda and half a glass of water. It can be used throughout the growing season.
- Infusion of young nettles. It is an effective green fertilizer that contains a high dose of nitrogen. The infusion is prepared within a week. Then it is divorced with water in a ratio of 1 to 10. It is used for root top dressing.
- Ammonia. On a three-liter jar you need 3 teaspoons of ammonia. You need to develop the finished product immediately after mixing.
- Yeast. Considered an excellent growth promoter. First, a concentrate is prepared from 1 liter of water and 1 g of yeast. The mixture is kept for 4 hours, and then diluted with 3 l of water. It is necessary to apply top dressing immediately on the day of manufacture.
How to feed cauliflower seedlings
Cauliflower top dressing differs little from white cabbage. Only the consumption rates of the drugs vary slightly.
The first top dressing after picking cauliflower should consist of 10 grams of viburnum salt and urea and 15 grams of superphosphate dissolved in a bucket of water. The second is prepared from 4 g of superphosphate, 20 g of ammonium nitrate and 15 g of potassium salt (the amount of water is the same). The third - from 20 grams of saltpeter, 50 grams of superphosphate and 30 grams of potassium salt per 10 liters of water.
How to feed seedlings of Beijing cabbage
This variety loves complex feeding. They can be prepared on their own, or you can dilute ready-made purchased preparations with water. For example, Nitroammofosku. Or such products: Kemira Wagon, Crystal, Agricola. The working solution must be stirred in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.
What to feed if thin seedlings
If you have thin seedlings of cabbage, then top dressing is a dozen things. First of all, you need to provide seedlings with proper care. Thin seedlings are due to lack of light, non-compliance with irrigation and lack of space, and for other reasons.
Elongated seedlings are treated with growth regulators that normalize the state of seedlings.
NOTE! Do not exceed the norm of the active substance. Even if it seems to you that the working solution turned out to be too pale.
How to feed seedlings of cabbage so that it is plump
In order to strengthen seedlings, it is allowed to use growth regulators. Their essence is as follows: they slow down the extension of seedlings, which allows seedlings to “gain mass” and become stronger.
Among the popular growth regulators can be distinguished "Athlete". But it is perfectly acceptable to use its direct analogues.
You can also use complex compositions that contain all the main trace elements and often humic acids. For example, “Rich”, “Gumi”, “Fortress”, Fertika Lux ”,“ Agricola Forward ”,“ Gumat ”and others.
Use these drugs in strict accordance with the instructions so as not to overfeed the cabbage.
- The introduction of root dressing "on dry soil." Seedlings have a delicate root system. In order not to burn it, the soil under the seedlings is first watered with clean water, and then fertilizers are already applied.
- Non-observance of proportions and norms. An important rule of the gardener is to underfeed rather than overfeed. Excess nutrients are detrimental to seedlings. It is better to apply a little fertilizer than, for example, to overfeed the seedlings with nitrogen. This will stretch the seedlings.
- Frequent use of top dressing. If the plants do not respond in any way to the drugs introduced, check the conditions for the seedlings.
- The thoughtless use of folk recipes. Both folk remedies and purchased drugs perform the same function - they saturate the soil under seedlings with the necessary trace elements. For example, mullein and ammonia are nitrogen fertilizers. Therefore, you need to apply one thing.
- Fertilizing under healthy seedlings. If your cabbage looks plump, does not show signs of a disease or a deficiency of trace elements, then you do not need to fertilize it! So she has enough nutrition in the soil.
Cabbage also needs top dressing. If you feed on time, then the cabbage seedlings will be plump, they will tolerate the transplant well and will please you with strong heads of cabbage.