Lobelia: growing from seeds, when to plant seedlings in 2020
Lobelia is a perennial plant that has taken root on the territory of central Russia. Flowering can be of different shades, ranging from blue to purple. To grow a quality variety, care is needed, since in a cold climate germination is difficult.
Dear readers! For you, we have created communities in social networks in which useful articles and interesting ideas are published several times a day! Subscribe and get useful content in a convenient format!
- In contact with
- Yandex Zen
How to determine the time of sowing?
The plant feels good on the street, but only in warm weather. There should be no frost, since the stems and roots will quickly die. Therefore, the timing of sowing depends on the time of year.
Sowing is recommended at the end of February. You can choose any time throughout March. Some gardeners practice planting in December and January. But this is not recommended due to the lack of a lot of sunlight. If you sow the seeds at the recommended time, the stems that appear will be more viable.
How to prepare planting material for sowing?
Lobelia seeds are very small. Therefore, they must first be mixed with sand in order to improve the degree of germination. Use purchased soil or soil mixture (land containing humus, peat, sand). Thanks to this, the seeds feed on microelements and minerals, quickly germinating.
Granular seeds are available for sale. They are specially prepared to plant them in tablets, cassettes. This will eliminate the need for picking.
When to sow lobelia for seedlings in 2020 according to the lunar calendar?
Many gardeners use the lunar calendar so that the plant sprouts quickly, there is no death of sprouts.
If you can’t get on favorable days, it is recommended to sow seedlings in the neutral period. Seeds will germinate at medium speed. The main thing is to avoid adverse dates.
Favorable days for sowing lobelia in 2020, depending on the month
Data on the recommended sowing of seeds is indicated in the table.
|Month||Recommended dates for seedlings|
|January||1, 4, 7, 9, 11, 15-18, 22, 28-30|
|February||1-5, 7, 8, 12-15, 20, 24, 27-28|
|March||4-7, 11, 12, 17-20, 22, 27, 28|
|April||1-3, 6,10, 14, 18, 19, 25, 28, 29|
|May||4-6, 11-14, 16, 25, 27|
If the gardener has time for this period, the plant will grow abundantly. The risk of sprouting is reduced.
|Month||Non recommended dates|
|January||2, 5, 10, 25, 31|
|February||6, 9,21, 22, 23, 25|
|March||8, 9, 16, 24. 25, 26|
|April||4, 5, 8, 15, 17, 24 23, 30|
|May||1-3, 7,15, 18, 22, 28, 29|
The gardener must not be on any date indicated. This does not mean that the sprouts will be absent. They can be thin, non-viable.
When to plant depending on the region
In different territories of Russia your climate is observed. For example, in the north it is arid, cold. If you go down closer to the south, less care will be required, since the land in this part is fertile, the climate is favorable.
- Northern parts (Ural, Siberia). Sowing is carried out at the end of February.
- Kaliningrad region. In this part, there is not only a cold climate, but also abundant humidity. Therefore, the time for sowing is shifted to the end of February - early March.
- The middle lane (Moscow and Moscow region). In February, seeds are not used, they will not germinate. Only March is recommended.
- The southern part of Russia. The climate is mild. Spring, summer are long. Therefore, the seeds are planted in late February. This can be done immediately on open ground, since after March frosts are rarely observed. Care is carried out on open beds.
Weather conditions strongly affect germination. Therefore, it is recommended to make sure that there are no frosts. The time of the appearance of the first stems is affected by the variety of the plant. For example, an ampel species grows more slowly than others. Therefore, it is better to sow it in advance.
Planting Lobelia Seed in Steps
Sowing is simple. To do this, follow these steps:
- a hole for drainage is preliminarily made in the tank so that more oxygen flows inside (you can buy ready-made ones);
- soil is put in a container, compacted, watered (so that germination is quick, use various additives to water, for example, fungicide);
- put a handful of seeds on the paper, roll it up with a corner;
- gently tapping the paper, gently distribute the seeds in the ground;
- from above it is forbidden to lay the earth;
- spray the scattered seeds from the atomizer with a very weak solution of potassium permanganate;
- on top of the container cover with glass, for example, a jar;
- put the container in a warm place.
Depending on the gardener's preferences, the soil can be used ready-made or made independently. Vermiculite is recommended. This is a means of increasing soil porosity. Due to this, a large amount of oxygen passes inside.
How to care for lobelia seedlings, what tricks
There are basic rules that gardeners choose for better germination of lobelia seeds. If you use them, the risk of plant death is reduced.
Lobelia seeds sprouted what to do next
The first stems appear after 7-10 days. They are thin, subject to adverse environmental conditions. From the first days, the following care is required.
- Watering. Lobelia is not a hygrophilous plant. Therefore, you need to water in moderation, but without waiting for drying. Use settled water at room temperature. Hot or cold liquid will damage the sprouts, root system. With excessive watering, decay will begin, lobelia will die.
- Lighting. Light should fall on seedlings, but direct rays cannot be used. A burn of young stems may occur. Lighting should be natural. Daylight hours at least 12 hours in 1 day.
- Temperature condition. Optimally, it should be 20-25 degrees. Then the sprouts will appear earlier.
These are optimal conditions under which sprouts become stronger and taller.
How to feed lobelia seedlings
Fertilizers - substances necessary for the full nutrition of the plant. It receives a large number of nutrients, minerals, trace elements, vitamins. This reduces the risk of infection with infections, fungi.
Use water-soluble, mineral fertilizers. They must be of weak concentration in order to benefit, but not harm. The substance is best diluted 2-3 times before distribution over the soil.
Lobelia picking rules
Dive must be done carefully. This is due to the weakness of the root system and stems. The following steps are recommended:
- choose 5-10 pieces of overgrown sprouts;
- transplanted into a separate container;
- expect the appearance of several leaves, which means the viability of the sprout.
Nipple before the formation of 5 new leaves do not.
Nipping - the procedure for cutting the first leaves. It is recommended to perform it when 5-6 sheets have arisen. They are gently nibbled off without damaging the stem. This will cause abundant growth, the plant instantly grows by 6-7 cm in height. It is better to immediately remove the top, then flowering will be plentiful, bright.
Is it possible to sow seeds directly in open ground
Instant sowing of seeds in open ground is allowed only in the territory where there is no frost. If lobelia begins to grow in February, any temperature fluctuation will lead to the death of the sprouts.
Each stalk is planted at a distance of 20 cm from each other to give enough space to the root system.
If a person is not sure of the reliability of the climate, it is better to first use closed ground tanks. When living in the southern territories, it can be open, but you need to monitor the temperature, watering, and the amount of light.
When to plant seedlings in open ground
Planting time in open ground depends on climatic conditions. If we are talking about the northern regions, it is recommended to do it closer to May. In warm climates, the period is a little earlier, from April. They look to have enough sunlight for quick germination.
Interesting facts that a novice gardener may not know about:
- care for annual or perennial plants is similar;
- if a perennial variety is selected, autumn dry inflorescences are harvested every year so that the next flowering is extensive;
- the bushes must be pruned, making the shape of a ball;
- if the local climate is warm, wintering is also possible on flowerbeds, in the northern regions it is recommended to grow the plant in large containers, to change their location depending on the ambient temperature;
- lobelia is used in landscape design, hanging baskets, decorative flowerpots, flower towers.
When flowering begins, large balls form from the bushes, resembling clouds.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gardeners are often interested in questions about the life of a flower. However, there are some of them that are most common.
What to buy soil for growing seedlings?
It is better to buy ready-made soil, which contains all the nutrients. It should have humus, peat, sand.
How can seeds be stimulated for further growth?
Use mineral fertilizers. Due to the ingestion of beneficial substances, cell reproduction and flower growth is faster.
Why don't seeds germinate?
Seeds do not germinate due to insufficient moisture and sunlight, planting in open ground during the freezing season, the presence of pests and infectious diseases. For successful germination, all environmental factors must be stable.
Why soak the seeds?
Soaking is used for fast germination. When the seeds are moved to the ground, the stems appear instantly (within a few days). The risk of developing diseases is reduced.
How to harden lobelia seedlings?
The hardening procedure is carried out immediately after a dive. The plant is taken out to fresh air in favorable weather. It should not be constantly in the room. This will allow the stems and leaves to get used to the changing temperature.
What to do if lobelia seedlings do not grow?
It is recommended to check the soil moisture. It should be moderately saturated liquid. Do not overdry or overfill. A container with soil is placed on the windowsill so that the sun falls on the soil. But there should not be open sunlight, otherwise the sprouts will burn. You can add a small amount of mineral dressing. Previously, the substance is diluted 2-3 times.
Lobelia is a plant that grows in any climatic conditions. But still it is not recommended to plant in open ground, if most of the time in the area there are frosts. There are certain rules of care that any gardener must adhere to. This will allow to achieve rapid germination, high-quality flowering.