Repair raspberries - features of care and growing
Repair raspberries - this is more than two hundred special varieties of raspberries that can bring 2 or more crops per year. Perhaps the most eloquent and suitable epithet is constantly fruiting raspberries. That is how you can literally translate the word "Everbearing", which in English is assigned to these varieties of raspberries and other similar crops.
Dear readers! For you, we have created communities in social networks in which useful articles and interesting ideas are published several times a day! Subscribe and get useful content in a convenient format!
- In contact with
- Yandex Zen
Of course, remont raspberries have their own characteristics, advantages and disadvantages. Their exact understanding will help determine whether it is worth planting this plant in its own area or still prefer ordinary bushes with standard single fruiting.
What are the main differences between remont raspberries and ordinary varieties?
Repair raspberries good in that starts to give berries early. A year after planting, you can get a full and sufficient harvest. If you plant bushes in the spring, then the first berries often turn out to be seen in the fall.
Important! After the first gathering of berries, it is very important to conduct timely and thoughtful pruning of bushes. This is the only way to avoid a significant drop in the quality of crops already in the second season.
The second fundamental difference between the repair varieties is the ability to grow crops on an ongoing basis.. For example, in the south of Russia it will turn out to take berries twice a year: in late summer and late autumn.
Bushes abundantly and often throughout the year bear fruit in the middle lane, and even in the northern regions, but only under a combination of circumstances. For example, it is desirable that the first frosts occur no earlier than November, and early spring comes.
Features of remont raspberry
The main pros and cons of using repair raspberries are well known, since these varieties are constantly popular in Europe and the former Soviet Union.
The main advantage of remont raspberries is unpretentiousness. This is especially true in conditions, for example, in central Russia.
You can also highlight the following positive points:
- Of course, the key one is the fruiting of most of the common varieties from 2 times a year, in summer and autumn.
- Earlier formation of berries on young bushes: the first crop ripens after wintering, by August or September, if you plant the bushes in the winter, or even the first autumn, if planted in the spring.
- Habitual care, which includes standard and familiar procedures to the gardener.
However, it is better to immediately make a reservation and note that remont raspberries really have a lot of advantages: more than disadvantages. But the best option for planting this crop can be called only a partial, selective planting on the site of repair varieties. A garden in which part of the raspberry bushes gives several crops, and part ripens by the fall by standard is the most thoughtful approach.
The disadvantages of repair raspberries include:
- Ripening a lower quality crop in comparison with conventional varieties.
- As a rule, late ripening of the second, last crop before winter. If frosts occur early, then the berries may not ripen.
- Trimming the trunk becomes more important for remont raspberries. Proper and thoughtful pruning is the key to a good harvest every year. But for this you need to be a savvy amateur gardener enough and know exactly which shoots make sense to remove on time, and which makes sense to leave.
Therefore, quite often, repairing raspberries in inexperienced hands turn into the usual raspberry variety, giving only 1 crop per year (though earlier than the classic varieties).
To prevent this, emphasize the benefits of remont raspberries and level out the flaws, it is important to know some secrets of growing high-yielding varieties and try to follow them.
Features of fruiting
Repairing raspberry varieties have specific characteristics that relate to fruiting. So, many gardeners note that the best berries are formed exclusively on young shoots. Based on this, two main conclusions can be made:
- It is possible to obtain high-quality, large and tasty berries even from repairing varieties, but only from an annual plant, and then prune almost under the root every winter. In this case, collecting more than one crop will not work.
- If you cut off only some branches from the remont raspberry and leave the bush whole, several crops will ripen in a year. But the berries will be smaller, more bony and drier.
The fact that, with a focus on collecting several crops, the quality of berries is reduced, but their volume is growing is the main problem of the repair varieties. It happens that a plant simply lacks the nutrients, sun and heat that it receives throughout the year to always bear fruit.
How to find quality seedlings? What to pay attention to?
Of course, every gardener should have in his pocket several effective methods for choosing high-quality and healthy seedlings. Regarding remont raspberries, the selection rules are the same as for other crops.
- Firstly, it is always important to pay attention to the appearance of remont raspberries. If the bush was grown in an open way, then you can easily examine the root system, see damage to the roots and their diseases, when any.
- On the other hand, unscrupulous sellers can hide some shortcomings - for example, they mask the problems of the root system, leaving an earthen coma on it. It is more correct at the time of purchase to disassemble the soil and carefully consider the seedling.
- It will not be superfluous to buy a seedling shortly before planting. Since repair raspberries are planted mainly in the fall, it is during this season that it is better to buy new bushes.
- Competent seller selection is another key to a successful purchase. It is good if the store provides documents to confirm the desired variety, or simply is famous for its good and proven reputation.
Finally, it is advisable to rely on certain experience, to have sufficient luggage to choose a healthy and proper seedling. Perhaps this is all the secrets of the purchase.
Types of Repairing Raspberries
More than 200 varieties are known for remont raspberries, and many of them grow quietly in most of Russia. However, it will not be superfluous to select certain varieties for a specific region.
For example, early-ripening remont raspberries grow well in the south of the country. Most varieties easily produce several crops a year.
Late ripening is best planted in the northern regions. There you can hardly grow more than one crop, but the berries will turn out to be high-quality, juicy, tasty.
Early ripe varieties of remont raspberries can give the first berry yield already in mid-summer, but only if the region had a very early spring. The standard ripening period is closer to early August.
- Grade Atlant - rather, an average variety between early ripe and mid-ripe berries. The main differences of the Atlant raspberries are large and juicy berries, a small bushiness and a small number of thorns.
- Perseus - One of the most seasoned varieties for diseases and bad weather conditions. The berries are dark in color, and the main feature is the almost simultaneous ripening of the entire crop.
- "Golden domes" - A variety whose main feature is resistance to high temperatures (and raspberries for the most part do not like heat). Fruits form large, resemble the shape of a dome and are painted in deep yellow.
Mid-season varieties give the first crop, usually closer to the end of summer. The second harvest can be expected in November, but only if there are no frosts and relatively warm autumn.
- The Yellow Giant - as its main differences, it will have a dense bush structure and a stably large crop (though it takes a long time to set and ripen). The strongest feature of the variety is its high resistance to cold.
- Cumberland - a variety that is unlikely to be confused with any other. The key external difference is the ripening of black, sweet berries. All other qualities are in place: the variety is resistant to cold, quite thick and plentiful in bearing.
Late-ripening varieties of remont raspberries are best considered for the very northern regions, where, nevertheless, crop production is still possible.
With proper care, you can grow one full crop and leave the ovaries of future berries for the winter.
Perhaps one of the most popular late-ripening varieties in Russia will turn out to be called Heritage. Berries of this variety have a slight acidity, however, they are distinguished by particularly plentiful harvests, do not fall for a long time, and are well resistant to diseases and pests.
Reproduction of remont raspberries
The best time for planting raspberry bushes is autumn. Before winter, the bush will create favorable conditions for better root survival. However, even in the summer months, not everything is lost - however, the first crop in this case will be later and less voluminous.
You can plant repairing varieties even in spring. In this case, in the first year, an insignificant, but high-quality collection of berries can be obtained.
The best place for the constant growth of remont raspberries can be called the most sunny, preferably the southern part of the site.
It is possible to propagate repair raspberries with standard, classical methods. The most popular of them:
- Growing through root offspring.
- Cuttings from the roots.
- The usual cuttings.
- By dividing the bush.
Some methods are more complicated, which is why they require more experience. However, they are all workers, so you can choose the one that seems the most convenient and familiar.
Root offspring - shoots known even to inexperienced gardeners, growing from the root system. In a sense, this method does not require special attention, since the nature of the remontant raspberries implies the growth of a bush in this way.
In other words, if the raspberry feels good, then as it grows, it will be sure to let the root offspring. Some of them can be removed to regulate bushiness in their area.
This method consists in artificially awakening the roots of a plant to form buds, and then their offspring. This is not to say that applying this technique is simple. No, there are many factors to consider. For example, it is accurate to guess with the period, because the raspberry bush should be in a state of deep sleep (in most varieties - in the middle of winter).
Root cuttings involve the removal of part of the root system. A plant awakening in the spring will seek to return the volume of the root mass, which will direct most of the resources to lay the roots and offspring from them.
As a rule, the usual raspberry cuttings involves separating some small shoot with its own root system or even germinating the separated branches without a root in several stages.
They resort to the method when the bush of remont raspberries is already old, but the quality of the berries and the abundance of fruiting are completely satisfied. Then you can extend the life of the plant by creating new young bushes.
If a branch is taken without a root system, then it will first have to be germinated in expanded clay or wood sawdust while maintaining high humidity and temperature. When the root appears, then a small bush can be transplanted into the soil with well-loosened soil.
In a year or two it will be possible to transplant the plant to a permanent place.
Dividing the bush
One of the easiest ways is to divide the bush. But it requires special care.
In autumn, you need to dig a raspberry bush and divide it into several stems with each one's own root system formed. After that, immediately plant new raspberry bushes in a permanent place.
With this method, it is important to damage the roots as little as possible (and this is difficult when digging raspberries), otherwise a whole bush may die.
Features pruning in spring and autumn
Perhaps the biggest difficulties and discussions arise precisely on pruning remont raspberries.
Many believe that the best berries are given by young shoots. That is why, after the last harvest, they recommend cutting all branches of the bush under the root. True, it is well known that with this technique it will not be possible to grow more than one crop. Raspberries will form new branches for a long time.
Therefore, there are opponents of full trimming. They say that in the fall it is better not to touch anything. Then it will definitely come out to collect two full-fledged crop of berries.
For the south, it is recommended to leave raspberries intact in the winter. Then part of the berries will be almost formed and will begin to ripen by mid-summer. The bush in spring consists of two parts. The first is last year's branches, on which the crop matures first. The second is young shoots, which are most likely to form berries in the fall.
It is also not recommended to prune root raspberries in cold regions. The formed bush will protect the root system from frost much better.
It turns out that full pruning for the winter is possible only in central Russia. And it is advisable only if you want to collect the most delicious and healthy harvest, but only once a year.
In most cases, all that is needed in the bushes of remontant raspberries in the spring is rationing. The procedure includes removing excess shoots (dried branches) so that the root system has the strength to form a full crop.
Tip. Carrying out rationing, it is possible to cut out part of the branches with a small section of the root. Then it will turn out to use sprouts for planting a new bush separately.
It is believed that maintenance raspberries do not require too much care. There are cases when, even without human influence, some varieties calmly give two or more crops per year.
However, the care of even such an unpretentious plant certainly will not hurt. As a rule, all care is reduced only to compliance with simple rules.
In the spring
For example, in spring, it is recommended to open repair raspberries after winter (if the bushes were cut to the root), as well as to generously feed.
An important condition before the onset of summer and the first harvest is to observe the direction of growth. For this, it will be useful to remove old woody shoots.
By the way! In no case should you cut off the tops of the bush. This is a big mistake of inexperienced gardeners. Meanwhile, it is from the tops of the bush that pollination begins and later the first berries are formed there.
In the summer, the main role is played by observing the frequency of irrigation. It is during this season that you need to carefully monitor that the soil is almost always moist. The key point in watering: in the formation of flowers and the first ovary.
Only in the case of rainy summers should watering be completely ruled out.
In summer, pruning bushes is highly undesirable. If all the conditions are met, and the weather does not fail, then most of the varieties of remont raspberries begin to bear fruit fully in early August.
In the fall, for maintenance raspberries, watering is significantly reduced. Some varieties are still able to bear fruit (until November).
Closer to winter, namely after the first frost, you need to make a decision on pruning bushes. Some gardeners advise cutting branches under the root. Others prefer to leave it as it is.
Repair raspberries need additional watering when the weather is dry on the street. It has long been noticed that the amount of moisture directly affects the quantity and quality of ripening berries.
The rule. From this we can conclude that the most careful watering should be monitored when raspberries bloom.
Do not be afraid to water the bushes abundantly. So, it is recommended to moisten the earth to a depth of 30-40 cm.
Before planting, it is important to immediately choose the right place for remont raspberries. The main conditions are good illumination by the sun's rays, minimum wind and shadow. In this place, the bushes are able to grow and bear fruit up to 10-13 years without a break. After that, it is better to transfer the raspberry to a new site, and give the past place a break at least from the new raspberry for 5-7 years.
Recommendation. It is believed that the places where solanaceous plants used to grow were the worst suited for raspberry transplantation: peppers, tomatoes, eggplant or potatoes.
Before planting, it will be an excellent solution to make compost, humus or ordinary wood ash in the soil.
The best-known and, as a result, the optimal scheme for planting raspberries can be called a planting of 3-4 seedlings per 1 m2 with maintaining the same distances between seedlings.
Repair raspberries are not the most demanding plant in terms of top dressing. But if you want to grow a really good crop, then fertilizing is highly recommended.
The optimal period for this procedure is spring. It is well known that raspberries are the most affected by a lack of nitrogen in the soil. That is why it is best to give preference to manure or humus.
Solutions based on chicken manure (1 to 20), cow manure (1 to 10) are well suited. The optimal amount of fertilizer is about 5 liters. on 1 m2.
Also, in early spring or during the period of active flowering, it is recommended to periodically add phosphorus-potassium fertilizing in accordance with the instructions from the manufacturer.
Repair raspberries are considered one of the most adapted to Russian conditions garden crops. For the most part, such raspberries easily tolerate frost and a lack of heat, light.
Two features can be distinguished that should be considered when wintering remont raspberries:
- If you trim the bushes at the root, it is recommended to cover raspberries in the cold season to prevent frost damage.
- If you do not cut raspberry bushes, then you can not prepare the plants for wintering. Usually there is enough foliage and branches to sufficiently protect the surface layers of the soil from the effects of frost.
In Russia, the most popular are such varieties of remont raspberries:
- Indian summer;
- Bryansk anniversary;
- Golden domes;
- Yellow giant;
- Ruby necklace;
Of course, high demand did not arise from scratch. Buyers of these varieties of raspberries always note excellent productivity (often in the region of up to 3.5 kg per bush), resistance to temperature extremes, especially cold, and also earlier ripening (mainly in August). All this makes these varieties of remont raspberries almost ideal for growing in most areas with a temperate and continental climate.
Why doesn’t bloom and bear fruit?
Repair raspberries are generally considered an unpretentious garden crop. Meanwhile, if you do not observe fairly simple conditions, then you can not even get one crop per year.
First of all, raspberries are very fond of sunlit areas. At the same time, it is important to maintain a balance: a too dry climate will definitely not benefit the plant. If sunlight is not enough, then raspberries will also bloom reluctantly.
Secondly, when raspberries bloom, it is enough to water each individual bush. Otherwise, only a small part of the flowers will form the ovary, after which it will turn into berries.
Finally, even such a seemingly insignificant factor as wind can significantly affect raspberry productivity. Too windy areas will contribute to the fall of foliage and flowers, prevent normal pollination by insects. As a result, this will significantly reduce subsequent yields.
Features of growing in different regions
It is conditionally possible to divide the characteristic features of the cultivation of remont raspberries into 3 climatic zones in Russia:
- The middle lane.
- Southern regions.
- North and Siberia.
In the southern regions, raspberries feel their best. Affects early spring and warm autumn. All this contributes to the cultivation of at least 2 crops per year.
In the north, almost always it turns out to grow only one full crop. There, it is often required to additionally cover raspberry bushes for the winter to protect it from manifestations of especially severe frosts.
The middle lane is perhaps the most optimal region for raspberry cultivation. In most of the regions it doesn’t get too hot, and in winter there aren’t too severe frosts. Yes, it rarely turns out to collect more than one crop (except in the very southern regions of the middle lane), but under other conditions raspberry bushes feel quite good. Sometimes you do not even need to cover them before the onset of winter.
Diseases and Pests
Unfortunately, remont raspberry is not worse than ordinary varieties. Some diseases can be detected early enough, but combating them can be extremely problematic.
The most common diseases include:
- Gallitsa - These are black-backed mosquito larvae that grow in raspberry stems for a long time. The place of their occurrence usually turns out to be easy to detect - the stalk noticeably thickens. If nothing is done, the whole branch will soon dry up. You can fight only the only method - without regret, cut off the affected areas and burn.
- Also badly harm raspberries aphid. Moreover, insect larvae (similarly to a gall midge) and adult individuals cause great harm. In especially neglected cases, insects do not allow the fruits to ripen, lead to the drying of whole inflorescences. You can fight them with special drugs: Alator, Funfanor and others.
- Chlorosis - A disease associated with increased acidity of the soil. Often, the plant cannot be cured in any way. And in order to avoid infection of neighboring bushes, damaged branches should be quickly cut to the root and burned immediately. To prevent the subsequent process of the disease will turn out with the addition of gypsum in the soil.
- Rust - one of the earliest manifestations of disease. The first signs appear already in mid-spring, expressed in a characteristic red color of foliage. Entire branches dry over time. Within three years, all raspberries can die. Therefore, bushes affected by rust will have to be dug up and burned.
- Spider mite - A very common raspberry disease in the middle lane. Usually a bush can die in just 3 years. You can get rid of the problem, but only with the use of potent means, as in the case of aphids. Unfortunately, this seriously damages the quality of the future crop.
- Gray rot - A disease that affects exclusively raspberry berries. It is easy to identify the disease - most of the fruits do not ripen to the end, and easily visible mold appears on the surface. The cause of the disease is considered to be a cold summer and a sharp cooling in general.
Sometimes you have to resort to the most drastic measures and just dig a whole affected bush to save the whole garden. Unfortunately, most of the diseases are so serious that you can’t save the plant in any way. Therefore, it is better to create all the necessary conditions for the growth of healthy raspberries in advance.
Repair raspberries are one of those varieties of garden crops that is almost perfect for most farms in Russia. In many ways, for this reason, such raspberries are very popular.
But at the same time, it is important to achieve the correct growth of the maintenance variety, and in the best case, to manage to collect several crops at once. Of course, this cannot be done without certain knowledge, without experience and proper care. However, subject to all necessary requirements, the cultivation of remont raspberries can be a pleasant and profitable activity. At least, you can achieve a significant increase in productivity without unnecessary efforts. These raspberry varieties are clearly predisposed to this.